Jessica Williams has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the deaths of six teens two decades ago in a median of Interstate 15, resolving one of Nevada’s most notorious vehicular-crime cases.
Clark County District Court records show that Williams signed an Aug. 12 plea agreement in the March 2000 deaths of Scott Garner Jr., 14; Anthony T. Smith, 14; Jennifer Booth, 16; Alberto Puig, 16; Rebeccah Glicken, 15; and Maleyna Stoltzfus, 15. The teens were killed as they picked up trash as part of a Clark County youth services program.
Williams served nearly 20 years behind bars for the crime before her convictions were vacated by a federal judge earlier this year. The plea deal means she will not return to custody. According to the agreement, she was sentenced to credit for time served, “meaning no jail or prison time and no probation.”
John Watkins of the Pariente Law Firm has represented Williams since shortly after the crash. A statement from the law firm, provided by attorney Michael Pariente on Tuesday via email, said the plea deal was reached to “put an end to the matter.”
“Ms. Williams entered a plea to felony involuntary manslaughter — what she has long maintained what happened in that she fell asleep at the wheel resulting in this tragic accident,” according to the statement. “Her case is now closed without any additional prison time being imposed and she is now off of parole.”
‘Terrible and avoidable tragedy’
District Attorney Steve Wolfson’s office also emailed a statement on the plea deal Tuesday to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
“Ms. Williams entered a guilty plea to the crime of Involuntary Manslaughter, which is a Felony,” Wolfson said in the statement. “Although her previous convictions in this case were dismissed by the Appellate Court, she served 19 years