Posted: Aug. 15, 2019 8:00 am Updated: Aug. 15, 2019 8:38 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Attorneys for dozens of bidders that weren’t approved for retail marijuana dispensary licenses last year raised the specter of broken laws and told a Nevada judge on Thursday the process was so unfair she should order a do-over.
Plaintiffs’ lawyers said testimony showed that required background checks weren’t conducted on all applicants; scoring was riddled with mistakes; state officials tipped the scales toward some prospective licensees over others; and at least some laws were broken.
Dominic Gentile, attorney for Serenity Wellness Center, was among those seeking an injunction to block the opening of 61 businesses that got permits.
He cited an email in which he said Jorge Pupo, the state Department of Taxation marijuana licensing chief, told tax official Kara Cronkhite to ignore allegations that one winning bidder sold marijuana to someone below legal age.
“Mr. Pupo directed Ms. Cronkhite to withdraw the investigation, to stop it, into … three sales to someone under 21 years old,” Gentile said.
“We don’t know how young. We don’t know the circumstances. We do know it was never brought to the attention of any law enforcement agency,” the attorney said. “They admitted to the crime and they admitted suppressing it.”
Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez planned to hear Friday from attorneys for the state defending how officials evaluated 462 applications to award 61 new retail licenses to 16 applicants last December.
Pupo and Cronkhite testified the process wasn’t perfect but was impartial.
Plaintiffs want Gonzalez to declare the process invalid and issue an injunction to stop new recreational pot dispensaries from opening statewide. All sides expect her decision — following 18 days of testimony and evidence since May 24 — will be appealed to the